Tanzania: Mandela Science & Technology Institute to open in 2011

Posted by

Arusha. The first phase of the Nelson Mandela African Institute for Science and Technology (NM-AIST) in Arusha will be completed mid next year. Construction of the institute’s vital structures has been underway at the site since August this year at a cost of Sh38.7 billion.

The institution’s vice chancellor Prof Burton Mwamila told reporters during a media tour of the site last week that students admission would start later next year. “We will be a bit flexible. Since our students would be for advanced degrees, we would not necessarily commence the academic year in September or October like other colleges,” he said.

He pointed out that the college would only enrol students who will pursue post-graduate degrees (doctorate and masters) in various scientific and engineering disciplines. “Students would be admitted competitively from the East African region”, he said, as he took reporters around the site under construction. The start-up campus of the institute is at the former premises of the Centre for Agricultural Mechanisation and Rural Technology (Camartec) at Tengeru, east of Arusha.

According to Prof Mwamila, a former engineering don at the University of Dar es Salaam, the main campus for NM-AIST would be developed south of the present site in later years.

Already a 3,285 acre plot has been secured at Karangai and would be developed into a state-of-the art centre for science and technological studies in Africa.

“We are yet to complete drawings and develop a business plan of the area,” he said, adding that most of the funding for the project would come from Tanzania, the host country.

Said the don at the first formal visit by journalists to the place: “This is a Pan African institution but for the time being, Tanzania will bear the cost of its start-up.” NM-AIST would draw its students mainly from eastern, central and southern Africa and its post-graduate programmes would focus on science, technology and engineering.

However, lecturers would come from universities in Tanzania, East Africa and across the world, but notably the United States, South Korea and Japan. According to him, an inter-ministerial task force under the deputy permanent secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office is overseeing the project. Construction has been boosted by support from State pension funds under an entity called PPL which on May 22, this year, signed an agreement with the government to undertake the project.

The institute’s deputy vice chancellor, Prof Dunstan Shemwetta, said students would be enrolled from 18 African countries which have shown interest in the project. Nearly half a dozen other colleges/campuses are being set up in other parts of the continent under the Nelson Mandela Foundation. The Arusha campus is devoted to science and Technology.

NMF was hatched by think tanks in Africa in 2002 with the aim to train more scientific experts in Africa in order to enable the continent catch up with the rest of the world in knowledge and skills.

Source – The Citizen – By Zephania Ubwani

Comments

Loading Facebook Comments ...

16 Comments

1. Roderic Kimambo says:

This is indeed a great idea and undertaking as not only it will expand opportunities to further learning but also the location of the institute is at a strategic location, Arusha, with a beautiful and comfortable weather that will, of course, add value to the stay at the campus.

It will also be of benefit to have the international interaction with other scholars, as it will offer a platform for exchange of ideas and experiences. This is good and I am so proud of what is happening!

2. daniel e kapinga says:

this is good am taking my first degree of range management(natural resource management in animal production) i wish to join nelson mandela university for further studies,am living in liti tengeru,but for now am pursuing my field ppractical in Mpwapwa.God bless the work of your hand, i will my level best to get some updates from you.

3. daniel e kapinga says:

YES I HAVE RECEIVED YOUR UNIVERSITY INITIAL PROGRAMMES THAT YOU ARE GOING TO START,I LIKE TO JOIN NELSON MANDELA UNIVERSITY,BUT FOR THE TIME BEING AM IN THIRD YEAR,STUDYING RANGE MANAGEMENT AT SUA(THREE YRS DEGREE),RANGE IS ALL ABOUT NATURAL RESOURCE MNG IN ANIMAL PRODUCTION,AND I HAVE SEEN THAT YOU DONT HAVE ANY MASTER DEGREE FROM NATURAL RESOURCE, RANGE MANAGEMENT OR ANY MASTER RELATING TO AGRICULTURE OR ANIMAL SCIENCE AS PART AND PARCEL OF OUR NATIONAL ECONOMY.I NEED YOU ASSISTANCE SIR, THANKS BUT AM STILL MAKE FOLLOW UPS FOR ANY UPDATE,AM PURSUING MY FIELD PRACTICAL NOW AT MPWAPWA,DODOMA

4. daniel e kapinga says:

THANKS, I WISH TO JOIN NELSON MANDELA UNIVERSITY FOR MY MASTERS AND PHD

5. daniel baraka mbwambo says:

For sure it is a great prevelege for African….This is an awasome!!
    I wouldlike to know more about this institution….I am a student, expecting to finishing my degree in medical laboratory health sciences at Tumaini University-KCM-College-Tanzania 2011. I wouldlike join masters degree in health sciences in 2012 at Nelson Mandela University-Arusha Branch

6. Lyimo, H L N (PhD) says:

I had sometimes back applied for lecturer post, may I have some response

Regards

7. Elias kilango says:

i wish to join the university, currently am working at bionic ltd (IT solutions),

8. Sebastian Severin Mosha says:

despite am late bt I wouldlike to know more about this institution….I am a graduate student in this year from Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) pursuing BSc. Aquaculture. I wouldlike join masters degree in 2012 at Nelson Mandela University-Arusha Branch.

9. VEKAEL LUPONELO says:

Iwould like joining your institute this year 2012 for a masters degree,I have an Upper second first degree in Electronics and communication Engineering .please give me the procedure how to apply.You can do that through my mobile Phone 0752447120or 0714457802 or using my postal address Ifunda girls high schoo po box7 Ifunda ,Iringa

10. Domina E. N. Mbela says:

I tried to get program offered and an application form but i didn’t get any. I would like to join this academic year 2012. I have MSc. in Human Nutrition. I want to apply for PhD in Human nutrition. If the program is offered, would you please send me an application form through my email dominankuba@yahoo.com
    Domina

11. Business Process Outsourcing, Call Center Services, Data Entry Company says:

Its a very great news. I am a master of science. I want to apply for PhD in chemistry. please give some more information regarding phd.

12. Its a very great news. I am a master of science. The first phase of the Nelson Mandela African Institute for Science and Technology (NM-AIST) in Arusha will be completed mid next year i hope made a good university.

Thanks for sharing.

offshore software web development

13. For general information please visit http://www.nm-aist.ac.tz. If you specifically want to join the Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MaSE) at NM AIST-Arusha please contact me at MaSE.NM.AIST.Arusha@gmail.com

14. Can you please let me know courses related with geographical information system(GIS) and computer application that can be provided by your institution?

15. PAUL L. KAHEMELE says: