Enablis Entrepreneurial Network in collaboration with the NetHope Academy have launched the Growing IT Entrepreneurs project in Kenya, Rwanda and Ghana
Enablis and Nethope believe that IT skills are in high demand, generating opportunities for youth to participate in core aspects of the economy if they can get the necessary real-world entrepreneurial training and support, then they can create jobs and come up with innovative solutions.
The project, dubbed Growing IT entrepreneurs is an initiative of Enablis Entrepreneurial Network with support from the NetHope Academy. The Project which will run for one year in three countries: Kenya, Rwanda and Ghana is targeting IT enthusiasts and professionals from universities, technical institutions, and technological incubation centers among other avenues. The project will support 100 IT enthusiasts and professionals in the three countries.
The project is responding to IT skills being in high demand, generating opportunities for youth to participate in core aspects of the economy. Enablis and Nethope believe if IT enthusiasts and professionals can get the necessary real-world entrepreneurial training and support, then they can create jobs and come up with innovative solutions.
IT enthusiasts and professionals will be selected through a mini idea competition. The competition process evaluates all entries and scores them on the basis of their business viability and suitability. The process of entering the competition will assist the them to refine and focus their technological idea into a business idea, which in itself is a valuable step.
The objectives of the competition is to promote entrepreneurship by:
- Encouraging IT enthusiasts and professionals with great ideas to turn these into thriving businesses.
- Handholding IT enthusiasts and professionals to sharpen their business acumen, improve their business plan thinking and develop their business writing skills.
- Showcasing the 100 fellows as role models to encourage other IT enthusiasts and professionals to become entrepreneurs
- Facilitating the provision of funding to technological entrepreneurs who meet the criteria of the Enablis funding partner
- Creating opportunities for gainful employment and furthering the country’s economic growth
Entrepreneurs may learn more about the program and apply by going to – http://gitentrepreneurs.enablis.org
Source: Kenya ICT board – Press Release – 6 July 2012