Seminar on the Role of Islamic Finance in the Development of Africa to Tap Potential Outlook for Islamic Financial Services in the Continent.
The Islamic Financial Services Board (IFSB) is organising its first Seminar focusing on the Islamic financial services in Africa which will be held on 6 to 7 September in Mauritius, hosted by the Bank of Mauritius.
This Seminar which is targeted at regulatory authorities and financial institutions from African nations interested in developing or exploring Islamic Finance will be held at the InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort. It is organised with the following objectives:
To discuss the potential outlook for Islamic financial services in the development of Africa, the building blocks of Islamic financial services, some major instruments of Islamic financial services and products.
- To present the opportunities and future challenges for regional cooperation in developing the soundness and stability of the Islamic financial services industry in Africa.Regulatory and supervisory authorities and market players involved in development and supervision of Islamic financial services and products, as well as those involved in development issues and projects are encouraged to participate in this Seminar. Among confirmed chairpersons and speakers include:
- H.E. Rundheersing Beenick, Governor, Bank of Mauritius
- H.E. Sanusi Lamido Aminu Sanusi, Governor, Central Bank of Sudan
- Mr. Jaseem Ahmed, Secretary-General, Islamic Financial Services Board
- Mr. Ian Johnston, Chief Executive, Dubai Financial Services Authority, UAE
- Mr. Daud Vicary Abdullah, President and Chief Executive Officer, International Centre for Education in Islamic Finance (INCEIF)
- Mr. Ahmad Hizzad Baharuddin, Director-General, Labuan Financial Services Authority, Malaysia
- Mr. Hussien Iman, Chief Investment Officer, African Development Bank
- Mr. Najmul Hassan, Advisor to the CEO, Islamic Corporation for the Development of the Private Sector, Saudi Arabia
- Mr. Vitaliy Kramarenko, Center Coordinator of our Regional Technical Assistance Center for Southern Africa, International Monetary Fund
- Mr. Noraizat Shik Ahmad, Assistant General Manager, Strategy and Development, Securities Commission Malaysia
- Ms. Aishath Muneeza, Head of the Islamic Capital Market Development Section, Capital Market Development Authority
- Mr. Nik Joharris Nik Ahmad, Chief Executive Officer, Century Banking Corporation Ltd, Mauritius
- Dr. Osman Babiker Ahmed Abdalla, Manager, Islamic Research and Training Institute, Islamic Development Bank
- Mr. Lotfi Zairi, Assistant to the CEO, Islamic Corporation for the Insurance of Investment and Export Credit, Saudi ArabiaThe IFSB is also organising a Pre Seminar Workshop on Introduction to Islamic Finance and the IFSB Standards on 5 September 2012, prior to the Seminar, which is open to all participants attending the Seminar. The Workshop aims to provide them with a better understanding of Islamic financial services and the IFSB activities.
Source: Zawya.Com – Press Release – 13 August 2012